Ultrasound is acoustic energy in the form of waves which occur on a frequency above the human hearing range. The energy waves are applied to the body from an ultrasound machine, using a gel to help the waves travel into the body rather than be reflected off the skin.
For many people who suffer from foot or ankle pain, ultrasound therapy is an effective form of treatment. Ultrasound therapy sends energy waves to the injured or painful area, moving at a frequency of one million vibrations per second. The waves can penetrate over 2 inches into the body, providing the targeted relief you are looking for.
Ultrasound therapy is available for the treatment of foot or ankle pain, and such conditions as:
- arthritis, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis
- strains and sprains
- joint pain of the ankle, midfoot, balls of feet and toes
- plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, and arch pain
- tendonitis, including Achilles tendonitis
Ultrasound therapy's energy waves reach deeply into affected, inflamed areas. Its benefits include:
- Increases tissue relaxation of the muscles and ligaments
- Stimulates blood flow
- Reduces swelling and muscle spasms
- Tissues receive more oxygen and nutrients
- Softens fibrous tissue and scar tissue, helping to heal the affected area
- Promotes normal function of the affected area
Regular treatments of ultrasound therapy, used in conjunction with traditional treatment methods that can be recommended by the chiropodist/foot care specialist at Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre, can help prevent foot or heel pain from reappearing. This combination allows for overall better treatment of the feet and ankles, and provides quicker pain relief and healing. Contact the foot and ankle specialist at Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre to learn more about how ultrasound therapy can help you.